About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Listening to God


The Lord became angry with Solomon because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel who had appeared to him twice.
1 Kings 11:9

Leonard Sweet asks a great question in his book, “Summoned to Lead”. Sweet asks,
“What do you hear when you listen? Your calling came from God, but now others are calling. How can you lead if you can’t hear?”

Well, Solomon, how do you respond to Sweet’s question? We may never become the “king” of a “kingdom”, but we face the same challenge as Solomon. God has called us. God has summoned us to lead others in their relationship with Christ. Yet, we hear many other voices that call to us. Although discernment is vital, our challenge moves well beyond our ability to recognize the voice of God. We must be willing to listen to God above all others. Solomon lost the battle on this front. He began to value the voices of his wives above the voice of God. Although God had spoken directly to Solomon, the voice of God began to fade amidst the other voices in his life. Certainly, none of us has as many wives as Solomon had. But, I am confident that we receive many more messages on a daily basis than he did. I pray that the message of God rises above all other messages in your life today.

No comments: