About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

1 Samuel 16:17-18

So Saul said to his attendants, “Find someone who plays well and bring him to me.” One of the servants answered, “I have seen a son of Jesse of Bethlehem who knows how to play the lyre. He is a brave man and a warrior. He speaks well and is a fine-looking man. And the LORD is with him.”

1 Samuel 16 provides a magnificent picture of leadership development. The life of David is amazing. Often, in the business world we speak in terms of “transferable skills”. It is the ability to apply a set of skills learned in a previous job to a new situation. David’s development extends well beyond transferring skills and adapting to new challenges. The narrative material in 1 Samuel coupled with the Psalms that are attributed to David allow us to see his faith and trust in God develop. David exercised his faith and he used his skills to glorify God. Consider the last phrase, “The LORD was with David”. This week, God will give each of us opportunities to exercise our faith and apply the lessons we have learned through our life experiences. Certainly, we will face new challenges. But, God is never surprised by those challenges. We must cultivate our awareness of His presence in our lives and trust in Him. Wouldn’t it be great for others to take notice of the fact that the LORD is with us?


No comments: