About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, February 13, 2012


Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love.
1 Kings 11:2

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day. So, we might as well be prepared for all kinds of messages about “love”. Here’s a reminder from the life of King Solomon. Solomon is remembered for several things. Some things are good; some not so good. Just to keep it simple, think of the 3 “W’s”: Wisdom, Wealth and Wives. When the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream, Solomon asked God to give him “an understanding heart to judge” (1 Kings 3:9). God granted Solomon’s request and we remember him as a man of wisdom. At one point during his reign as king, Solomon’s annual income was 25 tons of gold aside from what came from “traveling merchants and income from traders and the kings of Arabia and from the governors of the country” (1 Kings 10:14-15). Safe to say, Solomon was wealthy. Sadly, Solomon is also remembered for his seven hundred wives. That brings me to my consideration of 1 Kings 11:2. Solomon held fast to “them”, seven hundred wives. Not only did Solomon turn his heart toward many wives, he turned his heart toward their gods. He held fast to his wives and let go of his devotion to God. It’s a good lesson. Love moves us to act. Whether good or bad, we move toward the objects of our love. It’s good to take inventory of the things we “love” and determine whether or not our devotion to God is shifting or growing stronger.  

No comments: