About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Today begins 2010. I began this morning with a split perspective. First, I reflected on the blessings of God in 2009. Then, I attempted to stretch my vision forward into the new year. At the same time, I was in the present moment. The combination of those perspectives refreshes my heart with a sense of the sovereignty of God. My reflections on the year were a stark reminder of the experiences of the year that I could not have anticipated. Each day provided a fresh experience of God's grace. I expect the same for this year. Last night Lynn, Nick and I ate at a "rainforest cafe". It's a great experience. Every thirty minutes, the cafe becomes extremely animated. Mechanical animals wake up and began to make noise. A simulated storm rolls in complete with thunder, lightening and rain. Then, on perfect queue, the storm ends. Despite that fact that there was the appearance of a great storm and a giant gorilla a few feet away from me, I was not afraid. Why? It was all controlled. Oh how we love control. It's quite a contrast to the genuine storms of life. We cannot control them. They do not begin or end according to our command. But, the peace we will have in 2010 does not depend on our control or the presence or absence of great storms. Several years ago I chose to reflect on the power of Matthew 7:25 as it relates to preparation for a new year. Again this year I have returned to meditate on the importance of building my life on the "rock" of Jesus.

No comments: