About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Call for Greatness

How would you describe a "great" leader? Any study of modern leadership theories will include a list of traits that identify the best leaders. Never mind that there has been a significant shift in leadership theory from the so-called "trait" theories of the past. The image of what traits will make a leader great and predetermine those who are destined for greatness still persists. However, our search for traits usually stops on the surface. True greatness emerges from deep within. I believe we all have the potential for greatness if we begin by cultivating a great heart. In keeping with the holiday on Monday, I would like to quote Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. regarding greatness.

"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love."

No comments: