About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Gifts for Christ

I have a couple of candles in my office that I enjoy lighting. Call it aromatherapy if you like, but there is something soothing about the scent and the flicker of candlelight. I'm not the only one who values soothing aromas. Apparently God does too. Much has been written about the gifts that the wise men brought to Jesus. The value of gold is obvious to us. But frankincense and myrrh speak to different senses. The connection of these aromatic resins to acts of worship, healing, anointing and burial preparation made them recognizable as valuable substances to those who lived in ancient cultures. They were fitting gifts for a special King: A King who was worthy of worship; A King who was born to bring healing. Jesus was a King who was anointed and who commissioned others to carry on. Finally, let us never forget that Jesus was born to die so that our sins could be buried.

No comments: