About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Moving Foward


So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.
Nehemiah 1:4

How well do you respond to emotional distress? How do you move forward when you receive disturbing news? The book of Nehemiah is a testimony of what was required to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem that had been destroyed during a Babylonian siege (2 Chronicles 36:19).  The process began in a far away palace. An exile named Nehemiah was working as a cupbearer for the king of Persia in Susa when he received disturbing news about the condition of Jerusalem from one of his brothers. Nehemiah’s response was an immediate display of emotion and empathy. Yet, somehow Nehemiah was able to move from utter distress into an inspiring display of courage and leadership. The walls of Jerusalem were rebuilt. There are many facets to the testimony of Nehemiah, but I am struck by his immediate willingness to fast and pray. His initial response to the news from Jerusalem was to pray to the “great and awesome God”. Although Nehemiah’s prayer includes requests, it is much more than a “wish list” for God. Nehemiah’s prayer does not lack acknowledgment of the reign and sovereignty of God. We can learn from the content of his prayer. For most of us, prayer seems an obvious response to distress. However, too often our requests dominate our prayer and we lack a willingness to worship Almighty God and reflect on His faithfulness. Our worship can and should become a catalyst for movement forward. In fact, it can be the difference between becoming paralyzed by distressful news and empowered by God to move in an intentional and strategic direction. 

No comments: