About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Signet Ring

So the king took off his signet ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it to Mordecai (Esther 8:2)

During the days of the Persian Empire, the removal and gift of the signet ring was much more than a gesture of friendship. It symbolized a transmission of authority. The signet ring granted the recipient a great measure of power in the kingdom. It was an act of supreme trust. In this particular example, Mordecai had proven himself to be trustworthy before the king. The first introduction of Mordecai tells of this willingness to raise his cousin Esther as his own. Mordecai’s life provides a pattern of humble service. In contrast to Mordecai, Haman gained the trust of the king and then lost it. Earlier in the book of Esther, the king had given his signet ring to Haman. The text reveals that Haman was an egotistical and selfish man who looked to elevate himself and silence those who opposed him. In the end Haman was punished with death and Mordecai was rewarded. When Jesus told the story of the prodigal son, He noted that when the son returned home the Father instructed his servants to “put a ring on his finger” (Luke 15:22). In Christ, we are granted power to live in His Kingdom as His children. God places a ring on my finger.  What is my motivation? Do I crave power and authority as Haman did? Everything we receive by virtue of being children of God is never intended for our selfish exaltation. It is granted to enable me to serve the King and seek first what is best for the Kingdom.


No comments: