About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 25, 2012

New York

Esther devotional
The couriers went out, hastened by the kings command; and the decree was proclaimed in Shushan the citadel. So the king and Haman sat down to drink, but the city of Shushan was perplexed. (Esther 3:15)

The city was perplexed. It is an interesting description of the city. This collective personification of the city is a compelling way to express a particular overwhelming sentiment. It's like when we say that a city is in mourning after a tragedy. In this case, the city was bewildered and confused by the decree of the king. Why would the king give an order that would bring about the destruction of the Jews? It was perplexing. The prophet Joel used the same Hebrew word to describe cattle wandering without a pasture. Maybe it's because I am in the heart of New York City while I am writing these thoughts, but I am sensitive to this description of the city. I am aware that a city such as New York can easily be described as both "perplexing" and "perplexed". In the book of Esther, the rash and sinful decree of the king brought about confusion to the city. What brings confusion to our cities today? Here in New York, there are many messages about what matters, what defines success and what will deliver happiness. It's hard to walk into Times Square at night and ignore the messages! It is such a mixture of the grand and glorious and struggle and hardship. There is a beauty in the city that is best expressed through redemptive hope. In the book of Esther, Mordecai and Esther provided a light in the midst of a city that struggled to find understanding. God has light in every city and New York is no different. Yesterday, we went to worship at Hillsong Church NYC. In a packed theater together we sang words that pierce through the confusion with a message that is crystal clear:
The Burroughs have been opened
The broken have been chosen
and the city becomes alive in You.

No comments: