About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Amazing Grace

In his book, "Amazing Grace", Eric Metaxes notes the relationship between John Newton, who wrote the great hymn "Amazing Grace" and the young William Wilberforce. At the time Newton was serving as parson of a church in Olney.  According to Metaxes, Newton spent much time caring for the great poet, William Cowper who suffered terribly from depression. Newton suggested that it might be helpful for Cowper to write hymns for the weekly services.As I read about these relationships I was reminded of an aspect of God's grace that continues to amaze me. God supplies His grace to our pain and produces beauty. Often, the most remarkable beauty in our lives has emerged because of suffering and struggle. The knowledge of Cowper's struggles with doubt and depression provides a greater appreciation for the richness of his writing. Reportedly, the last hymn written by Cowper was "God moves in a mysterious way". For anyone who has ever struggled with depression, the words are especially meaningful:

The clouds ye so much dread are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face. 

No comments: