About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day


Cornelius stared at him in fear, “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.
Acts 10:4

Our introduction to Cornelius is brief, but strong. He is a centurion. He and his family were devout, God-fearing and generous. One day an angel came to him in a vision. God had heard his prayers and seen his generosity. Specifically, the angel told him that his prayers and gifts had risen up to God as a memorial. God remembered what Cornelius had done. As a result, the angel was there to prepare Cornelius for a visit from the disciple Peter. More importantly, God was preparing Cornelius for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon his family and friends. The significance of this outpouring has echoed through the centuries. Cornelius was a Gentile. Peter was a Jew. Clearly, the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit was not restricted by nation or race. This weekend was “memorial” weekend on our national calendar. On the church calendar it was “Pentecost” Sunday. My reflections on this particular passage in Acts 10 bring those thoughts together. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit that began on Pentecost with the Jews who had gathered in Jerusalem continued in the household of a Gentile whose prayers and deeds had become a memorial to God. It's a great reminder that we do not serve a God who is distant. Our God hears and sees and abides within us.

No comments: