About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Evidence

Just thinking about testimony. In general the word "testimony" brings to mind a legal context...especially a trial. I think that provides a compelling image for life. It is especially compelling when I consider the current crisis in our world. Here's how I would describe the crisis. Jesus said that we are "salt and light" in the world. Jesus was able to assess the conditions of the world with pinpoint accuracy. When he did, he saw that the world needs salt. The world needs light. In other words the world needs the influence of Christ. Jesus ascended to heaven and left us to shine. We are commissioned to share his love, his grace, and his forgiveness. I know this is an oversimplification of the message, but it's a good starting point. So here's the rub. Here's the crisis. Testimony doesn't count for much if it's not credible. According to recent research only 15% of Americans who have a relationship with a Christian say that the notice any difference in that Christian's life. Is the world just blind to the difference Jesus makes? I wish I could explain it away that easily. But, as a pastor, I know better. Picture this. They are shaking the shaker over their food and no salt is coming out. Frustrating? You can't shake out what's not in the shaker. Transformation comes from the inside out. Salt comes from the inside out. If Jesus doesn't saturate my life, how can I expect to be able to saturate the world around me with Jesus? If Jesus is not the most important influence on my character, how can I expect others to recognize the difference He makes?

No comments: