About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Seeking God

In the eighth year of his reign, while he was still young, he began to seek the God of his father David.
2 Chronicles 34:3

At the age of sixteen, King Josiah began to seek God. As the young ruler of Judah, Josiah determined that he would look to God for guidance. When I read about Josiah’s faithfulness, my mind goes back to the tragic end of Israel’s first king. The testimony of King Saul provides a stark contrast between a king who sought God and a king who did not.  In 1 Chronicles 10:13, we have the closing description of Saul. 

“Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the Lord.” 

The comparison between Josiah and Saul is extreme. I suspect that there is a lot of room in between these two examples. Maybe you would never consider seeking guidance from a medium at En Dor (See 1 Samuel 28:7). But, how determined are you when it comes to seeking guidance from the Lord? Do you live a Psalm 84:2 life? (“my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God”). Perhaps one of the greatest lessons from the Chronicles is the solemn reminder that our lives tell a story. I can’t control what people will write about me after I’m gone. But, I can leave behind evidence of my passion for God. When I seek God and respond faithfully to the truth He reveals to me, I trust that the pages of my story will read differently. I know that I cannot build an enduring testimony that honors God without God’s help. Let’s seek Him.

No comments: