About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

God-Centered Spirituality

Gary Thomas warns that "True Christian spirituality is not a search to 'discover' ourselves or to be enlightened or even to add a new dimension to our lives. No. Christian spirituality is the search to be in relationship with God...God is our desire. Not power. Not experience. Not the supernatural, but God, revealed to us in Jesus Christ." (Seeking the Face of God,  p. 115-16). Thomas published those words back in 1994. I don't think our tendency to lean toward selfishness has diminished in the church world in the past twenty years. Sometimes it seems like a battle of drift. Our pursuit of God lessens and shifts toward something other than God. It's subtle because we dress up our ambitions in "Sunday clothes". We label them or justify them as worthy of the time and effort we put into feeding them. All the while we are siphoning off energy and passion that should be focused on our relationship with the living God. Psalm 84 has been a good reminder to me this week.


No comments: