About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Responsive Love


We love Him because He first loved us.
1 John 4:19

The Gospel according to John ends with a familiar exchange between Jesus and Peter. Jesus asked Peter three times, “Do you love Me?” It’s hard to separate that conversation from our knowledge of Peter’s threefold denial of Jesus. Thus, this passage is often recognized as a “restoration”. John was nearby while the conversation took place. Perhaps it informed his understanding of the love of God. Many years later, John reminded the church that our love is dependent upon God’s love. Our love is a responsive love. In order to love others we must trust in God’s love for us. The restoration of Peter reminds us of our need to receive God’s love and trust in His forgiveness. Brennan Manning writes, “Underestimate the love of the crucified and risen Jesus, and the shadow of shame, guilt, and fear darkens our space without respite.” God has not called us to live in the shadows. His love enabled Peter to embrace forgiveness and move forward to serve God and others. The love of the crucified and risen Jesus enables us to do the same.

No comments: