About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Legacy


Manasseh was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years…He did evil in the eyes of the Lord, following the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites.
2 Kings 21:1-2

The brief introduction to King Manasseh gets right to the point. He was young when he began. He reigned for a long time and he did evil. His evil deeds followed a familiar pattern. The evil kings did not heed the warnings of Moses. Long before Manasseh took the throne, Moses warned God’s people against worshipping the false gods of the nations when they entered the land. (Deuteronomy 11:16). Tragically, Manasseh’s idolatry cost him his own son (v. 6). It’s a graphic leadership lesson. Reflect on the past and listen to the voices of those who have gone before us. At the same time, we are wise to consider how our current choices affect the next generation. When we honor God, we set the example for those who follow us. We can’t afford to neglect our legacy.

No comments: