About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Wholehearted Trust


Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Often, I quote the command of Jesus to “love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37). According to Jesus, it is the “first and greatest commandment”. Jesus follows up with a second commandment. He said to “love your neighbor as yourself”. The second commandment connects our devotion to God with our daily relationships. The wholehearted love that Jesus describes is love that is expressed toward God and neighbor. It is a reminder that real love requires practical application. So does trust. What is the evidence of wholehearted “trust”? I believe the “straight path” in Proverbs 3:6 is a recognizable way of life. “Trust in the LORD” is a daily rejection of the simplest form of idolatry possible – “do not be wise in your own eyes” (verse 7). When we lean away from the LORD and begin to elevate our own understanding above the wisdom of God, we begin to journey down a crooked path.

No comments: