About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Hungry for God's help?

You will drink from the brook, and I have directed the ravens to supply you with food there.” So he did what the Lord had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. (1 Kings 17:4, 5 TNIV)

The story of Elijah the prophet is one of my favorites. He is described in James 5:17 as a human being just like us who was subject to the same kinds of emotions as we are and yet James lifts him up for his exemplary prayer. Elijah's highs and lows are well documented. His life includes literal mountaintop experiences as well as time in the wilderness where he soaked in self pity. Sure, we can learn from Elijah's prayer life. But, we can also learn some things from the way God provided for him during his colorful life. The introduction to Elijah lays down a memorable fact. God was Elijah's "care director". God took care of Elijah in unexpected and unusual ways. He directed ravens to bring him food. Later, God directed a widow to cook for him. In the wilderness, an angel brought Elijah food. It was in the wilderness that we get a good glimpse of Elijah's humanity and we can take away a valuable lesson. Sometimes our emotions (mixed together with fear, anger, doubt, frustration and impatience) hinder our ability to recognize just how much God loves us and how he provides for us in our times of need. God's provision doesn't always come in the form we would like it. After all, how many of us would like to eat meat from the beak of a raven? But, we lose out when we fail to see the ravens that God sends our way as an extension of His compassionate care.

No comments: