About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Life Building

Hebrews 3:4
For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.

Chapters thirteen and fourteen in Numbers record an event that echoes throughout the Bible. Moses sent twelve spies to explore Canaan. The result is well known. Ten spies allowed fear to overwhelm the vision that God had given. Only two brought back a report that was anchored in the faithfulness of God. The consequences of contagious fear are recorded in chapter fourteen of Numbers. The people refused to enter the land that God had promised and as a result God made them wander until a generation died. Centuries later, the writer of Hebrews writes a commentary about God’s judgment on the faithless generation described in the book of Numbers. The construction analogy is consistent in the Scriptures. Every house (life) is built by someone. Either we are wise and allow the Master builder design our lives or we attempt to follow our own blueprint. Either we build our lives on faith in Christ or we are foolish and attempt to build our lives on shifting sand that is contaminated with fear. The writer in Hebrews provides a vivid description of the difference and reminds us that we are supposed to encourage one another. So, here’s my encouragement for today: “And we are his house, if indeed we hold firmly to our confidence and the hope in which we glory.” Hold on to your trust in Christ today!

No comments: