About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Discipline

You don’t wait until you’re in an unexpected storm to discover that you need more strength and endurance. You prepare with intensity, all the time, so that when conditions turn against you, you can draw from a deep reservoir of strength.
Jim Collins (2011), Great by Choice.

It’s such an easy thing to forget. God knows what lies ahead. God knows us and God knows the terrain that is before us. Also, we tend to forget just how much God loves us. His discipline is never separated from His holy character. No matter how you slice it, it’s impossible to prepare for the future without discipline. Do you remember the words of Deuteronomy 8:5? Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you. This brief verse follows a description of the wilderness journey of the Children of Israel. Moses was reminded them that God did not bring them to the edge of the Promised Land without preparing them for entry. A careful reading of Deuteronomy reveals that God’s discipline included training, instruction and correction delivered by a God who loves his children. We have such a distorted view of God’s discipline that we tend to separate our preparation from God’s plan. What is your response? We can choose to become bitter or better.

No comments: