About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, November 7, 2011

It's good for you

Deuteronomy 10:12-13
And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to observe the LORD’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good?

Do this…it’s good for you. Those are words I have heard many times. The sources were varied. Sometimes it was my parents, a teacher, a doctor, a coach. But, I can’t think of a single time when I heard those words that it came from someone who didn’t care about my well-being. By the time we reach message of Moses in Deuteronomy, the great leader knows that he will not enter into the Promised Land with his people. So, he gives them some final words of instruction. Deuteronomy 10:12 provides a good executive summary of those words. Basically, Moses tells them “do these things…it’s good for you”. What fascinates me about these two verses is that we hear them differently depending on our level of maturity. As children, we focus our attention on whether or not we want to do something without considering the impact on our character. After spending nearly forty years in the wilderness listening to complaint after complaint, Moses was well acquainted with the immaturity of the Children of Israel. Thus, before he died, he reminded them of the non-negotiable commands of God. Moses connected the commands with a reminder. All of God’s commands are for our good. What if we reversed the order of the verse? What if we began the verse with a simple question? Ask God, “what will do me the most good in life?” Then, prepare to listen to His reply: “Fear the LORD your God; walk in obedience to Him; love Him; serve the LORD your God with all your heart and soul and observe the LORD’s commands.

No comments: