About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Self-destructive behavior

I have a lot of images that come to mind when I think of "self-destructive" behavior. None pretty. As I was reading in Deuteronomy, I was struck with the application of this terminology to our tendency to forget to be thankful to God. Read Deuteronomy 8:7-9 carefully and see if you pick up on it.

You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today. If you ever forget the LORD your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed.

Is there any doubt that worship of the god of "self" is rampant today? If all of your thoughts revolve around yourself this week, you probably need to read the warning label in Deuteronomy. God warned His people in Deuteronomy. I don't think it is any less important today. Forgetting to give thanks to God is destructive.

1 comment:

Michele said...

How appropriate at this time Paul. Great message!

Michele