About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Overcoming Fear

Numbers 14:9
Only do not rebel against the LORD. And do not be afraid of the people of the land, because we will devour them. Their protection is gone, but the LORD is with us. Do not be afraid of them.”

Joshua provided a bright testimony of faith in the midst of fear. When Moses sent “spies” into the Promised Land, ten spies returned with a fearful report and only Joshua and Caleb returned with positive testimony. The message of the ten was a message of fear. They told the people, “We can’t!” Joshua responded with a message of faith. His words provide the recipe for overcoming fear. It is simple, yet easily forgotten. Do not be afraid – the LORD is with us. Because of fear, entry into the Promised Land was postponed for a generation. Several years later, after Moses died, God called upon Joshua to lead the people into the Promised Land. What was God’s message to Joshua? “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:8) Notice a pattern? Many of us memorized the 23rd Psalm as children. When we face our fears, we must remember “though I walk through the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for You are with me.” (v. 4). Fear paralyzes us, but the presence of God in our lives releases us to move forward.

No comments: