About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Psalm 24

Psalm 24:1-4
The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters. Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD? Who may stand in his holy place? Those who have clean hands and a pure heart, who do not put their trust in an idol or swear by a false god.

In this Psalm, David compares the distance between unholy and holy in terms a steep climb up the mountain of God. Who can climb a mountain so steep? An even greater challenge awaits us at the top of the summit. Who can stand in God’s holy presence? The Psalm provides an answer. Only those with clean hands, a pure heart and trust in the true God can ascend. In the next verse, David rejoices in the blessing that comes from God our Savior. Don’t miss the irony of this beautiful picture of grace. We struggle with the climb. God knows it. The Gospels fill in some necessary details about our climb. Rather than make the climb easier, God descended. God came down and made His dwelling among us. He did not forsake His holiness. He brought His glory to where we are and revealed grace and truth in human form. Through His sacrificial death Jesus washes our hands and purifies our hearts. Then, after dying for our sins and rising from the dead, “He ascended”. Jesus came down from the “mountain of the LORD” and Jesus leads the way for us to enter into His holy presence. Now, we are left to answer the question. Will you put your trust in Him?

1 comment:

Dperkins said...

I do believe that's one of the things He is trying to teach me right now. Is just to simply trust Him. Easier said than done for me but I'm working on it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Pastor Paul!