About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cross Cultural


Last night I began a course on Ethical Values and Principles in Strategic Leadership. I am grateful for every opportunity that I have had to teach outside of the U.S. When I teach I pay particular attention to the aspects of leadership that resonate. Are there issues that are common to leadership across cultural lines? How can these aspects open the door for the message of the Gospel? I began a series of lectures last night by drawing attention to the importance of leading from within. Unfortunately, a great deal of leadership development seems to focus on skills and behaviors without giving attention to the heart. I take it as a personal mission to tip the balance toward issues of the heart. This message did in fact resonate with the Ecuadorian leaders. They engaged in a vibrant discussion of some of the foundational questions about integrity and intentionality. Though this was a course at a "secular" University, I was able to describe leadership relationships in Biblical terms. I shared that my Christian faith has revealed some significant principles for accountable leadership. I was able to teach the importance of "speaking the truth in love" and share what it means to bring together diverse gifts and talents, yet unite them together as "members of a body". I am thankful for the many ways God gives us to be "salt and light".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankful you can go and share what you do......and will be very thankful when you are back home with all of us.
Thinking of what you said about leadership from within and Proverbs comes to mind...Pro 4:23"Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life."
And Jesus' words.... Mat 12:35 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things."

Teresa B said...

It is all about the heart. God is love and if we do ministry with love, it is a heart felt ministry. People will see Jesus. What are our motives in ministry??? It's the heart.....