About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Why Father?

Here are some pre-Father's Day thoughts from Scot McKnight's Jesus Creed:

"The Lord's Prayer begins with Abba, Father. Jesus is decidedly lopsided when it comes to names for God: every prayer of Jesus recorded in the Gospels begins with 'Abba, Father except the famous My God, my God why have you forsaken me?' utterance from the cross...why does Jesus focus so narrowly on Abba as the name for God? God may be YHWH but that sacred name evokes mystery. YHWH may be King, but that term evokes distance. From a long list of names, Jesus chooses Abba. What Jesus wants to evoke with the name Abba is God's unconditional, unlimited and unwavering love for his people. In this name for God we are standing face-to-face with the very premise of spiritual formation: God loves us and we are his children."

No comments: