About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Devotion

Sometimes it's easy to get sidetracked when it comes to being a Christian. We have this tendency to get caught up in doing Christianity instead of being. A friend forwarded a quote from Oswald Chambers (thanks Craig) that sums it up this way:

"Today we have substituted doctrinal belief for personal belief, and that is why so many people are devoted to causes and so few are devoted to Jesus Christ."

Causes are not bad. Doctrine beliefs are not bad. But, we become weary when our primary devotion is to a cause rather than Jesus. In fact, it is only through our devotional relationship with God that we can be refreshed and renewed for proper engagement in mission. Right thinking alone will not bring an overflow of love from our hearts. The love that we have for our neighbors is dependent upon our loving relationship with our Savior.

No comments: