About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Balance

Tonight in class we discussed balance. Balance is a tough subject. I think in some ways it's tougher to come by now more than ever. In the physical realm, I've never really amazed anyone with my sense of balance. I was never the kid who could dazzle anyone with my skateboarding talents. Nor was I the first kid to learn to pop a "wheelie" on my bicycle. Some of these struggles followed me into my adult life. But, I have learned some lessons relating to balance. In general when I speak about balance, I'm really talking about peace. Think about my opening statements about balance and plug in the word peace. It does seem to me that real peace is hard to come by these days. Why is that so often the case? One of the most graphic pictures of a lack of peace and stability is found in James 1. James paints a picture of a wave that is tossed around the sea by the wind. What is the remedy for such instability? It is faith. Specifically, James speaks of faith in God's ability to answer our prayer for wisdom. Peace comes when we ask for God's help and guidance and then trust God to provide it. Likewise God is our source of balance. God will give us wisdom for the choices we make from day to day.

No comments: