About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Once upn a time

Stories are the workshop of our faith
Mike Yaconelli
I remember when I was a little boy my mom bought a book entitled "my book about me". It was one of those books that traces your growth and development. You write down your favorite things, the date you lost your first tooth and all kinds of autobiographical thrillers. I'm not sure whether I taped any hair from a haircut in there or not. If so, I may go back and check into some transplant opportunities. Anyway, I am reflecting on this book because of my recent studies about the importance of "stories" in our culture. The Biblical record is full of stories that reveal the story of God. I am convinced that the better we become at recognizing our place in God's story the better we will become at delivering the message of God to others. My story is filled with God's grace. Your story is filled as well. Yet, often we fail to recognize it. More often, we fail to share it in such a way as to reveal the message of God. As we grow up we realize that it is not really "my book about me". It's my book about God's work in and through me.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Funny you should be blogging about that. On the way home from church this past Sunday, we were wondering exactly what your story, your testimony, is. Maybe someday you'd blog or email that for us?

Anonymous said...

God's prevenient grace. That wonderful grace that brings us through so much until we look back and are humble and honest enough with ourselves to see Him working all along.
God always meant it to be His story working through us for His glory and to draw others to Him.
The supernatural way to live is actually the natural way to live because that is the way God intended it to be from the beginning.