About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Legacy




There has been a lot of discussion about "legacy" in the news this week. On one end of the spectrum there has been a lot of talk about Bret Favre's football "legacy" with the Green Bay Packers. Brett has changed his mind about retirement the past couple of years about as often as we change the message on the church sign. It seems that this week he has decided he wants to play again. But the Packers are not in the mood. On a more serious note, talk of the late Heath Ledger's acting legacy has been the subject of many headlines as the "Dark Knight" opens in theaters. Ledger's performance as the Joker (scary stuff!) is receiving high marks. Legacy is a subject that interests me greatly. For one reason, the definition of "legacy" and "heritage" are very similar. As I consider our commitment at "Heritage Fellowship" it strikes me that our legacy is a gift that follows after us. The word has it roots in a legal gift that is deliberately bequeathed to a relative. It seems to me that one of the missing links in our consideration of popular use of the word is the intentionality that should be attached to legacy. It should be deliberate. The legacy of our church fellowship cannot be left to chance. It is an intentional process. It is a mission. This translates into an individual commitment to mission.

No comments: