About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 30, 2014

A Fruitful Life


2 Peter 1:5-8
But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

It’s a pretty big promise - “you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ”. Do I want to live a fruitful life? Yes, of course I do. It’s such an extravagant promise I find myself drawn toward the promise at the expense of the prerequisites. Real fruitfulness takes time. This is not a “no-bake” recipe. This list of ingredients is folded into my life on a daily basis. My “faith” becomes “faith” when it is tested. Until I have said “no” to temptation, “self-control” is not a significant part of my character. Real “love” cannot find expression in isolation. It begins in relationships that are safe and comforting and matures when manifested toward someone who seems to have nothing to offer in return.

What about the promise? Am I guaranteed a fruitful life? Perhaps there is a hidden promise. It’s not the promise of fruitfulness that is greatest. Fruitfulness is very important to me. But, the source of fruitfulness is much more valuable. As I read through this list carefully, I must confess that Jesus Christ is my source and inspiration. The list begins with faith and ends with love. My faith is in Christ. I love because Christ first loved me. The greater promise in this passage is that the character of Christ will increase in my life. When that is true, my life cannot be barren or unfruitful.

Without a purpose, life can become hollow…I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched.

 
Clayton M. Christensen

No comments: