About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 7, 2014

21st Century Idolatry?

1 John 5:21
Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

John is known as the “beloved” disciple of Jesus. It’s not surprising that “love” is a primary theme in the letter that bears his name. John teaches that “God is love” and “we love God because He first loved us.” Throughout this short epistle, John connects “love” with “life”. If I love, then I will live in a way that demonstrates my devotion to God. My relationship with God and my relationships with others will be a consistent reflection of God’s love. After painting a pretty clear picture of what that kind of life looks like, John wraps up the letter with a terse admonishment:  “keep yourselves from idols.” It’s important to connect the dots from the 1st Century to the 21st Century. Otherwise I will think I’m in good shape because I don’t have a carved up image of a god sitting on my hearth. I don’t think idolatry is less a problem today than it was then. Although it’s nothing to brag about, I think our culture is very creative when it comes to manufacturing idols. Timothy Keller reminds,

Because we can set up idols in our hearts (Ezekiel 14: 3– 7), we recognize that “making an image” of something is not necessarily a physical process but is certainly a spiritual and psychological one. It means imagining and trusting anything to deliver the control, security, significance, satisfaction, and beauty that only the real God can give.

So, how do I connect John’s message about God’s love and my need to reject idolatry? I have to realize that there is no substitute for God’s love. God’s love is unique. For example, only God’s love has the capacity to cast out my deepest fears and insecurities (1 John 4:18). I need to be willing to examine my life. What is my first response when I am afraid?  When I feel my security, significance or satisfaction is threatened, where do I turn? I have learned that it is during those times I am particularly vulnerable to idolatry. It’s so easy to turn to someone or something and seek peace or affirmation that only God can give. John’s final words to his spiritual “children” are powerful. Don’t look for a substitute for God. There is not one.

No comments: