About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Vicarious Learning



Dear friends, although I was eager to write you about the salvation we share, I found it necessary to write and exhort you to contend for the faith that was delivered to the saints once for all.
Jude 3

I am a believer in the importance of “leading by example”. Leadership authors Kouzes and Posner suggest that one of the greatest truths of leadership is “You either lead by example or you don’t lead at all”. However, not all examples are positive. I believe it is important to learn “what not to do” as well as “what to do”. Jude is a short letter in the New Testament. If you’re reading through the New Testament, it’s easy to skim Jude as you press toward the final book. But, Jude is packed with examples of “what not to do”. The letter opens with an admonition to contend for the faith. One way to contend is to pay attention to those who have not finished well.

How many examples are required to make a point? Jude is divided into a mere 25 verses. Yet, in those 25 verses, there is an impressive list of bad choices. Consider the A, B, C’s of disobedience: Angels who abandoned their home, Balaam’s greed and Cain’s murder. Then, move on to Sodom and Gomorrah, the rebellion of Korah and the unbelief of those who came out of Egypt.

So, what is the point? It’s really straightforward. If I am going to contend for my faith in God, I need to learn from these examples. Most of the time, I am looking for good examples to follow. However, Jude provides a great reminder of vicarious learning. I can learn from the mistakes of others. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy reading the ancient stories found in the Old Testament. Even my greatest heroes teach me lessons through their victories and their mistakes.

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

Thank you for continuing into Jude. I really enjoyed our Walk Thru the Bible.

I agree with you that many examples in the Old Testament are what not to do. I just never thought of it that way.