About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 16, 2014

Building a life

Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 2:4-5)

For the past few months, I have watched a large construction project across the street from our church building. The project began with demolition of the old structures and preparation for the new. The “Grand Opening” is scheduled in the near future. I remember when I first learned the identity of the primary structure. Identity is important. Once I heard the news, I was able to respond to the question -  “What is being built?”  It’s an appropriate question and I’m never surprised when I am asked.

Should I be surprised if I am asked the same question with regard to my life? Probably, it’s a question I should be asking myself on a regular basis.  What kind of life am I building? One of Jesus better-known disciples offered some coaching a long time ago. Peter wrote, “We are being built up a spiritual house.”

Just like the project across the street, my life has included some “demolition”. I feel like I have been leveled out a few times too. Obviously, a spiritual house is not built with bricks and mortar. Rather, a spiritual house is built using “living stones”. Building with “living stones” can be a little tricky. Structural integrity is essential. My structural integrity is directly related to another living stone, Jesus Christ. Certain aspects of my house are predetermined by the Master builder. The “plans” show a spiritual house, a holy house and a house that offers up acceptable worship to God.

There is one aspect of Peter’s description of life that leaves me deeply moved. Occasionally, I have been in a Home Depot and watched a builder inspect lumber. Several times, I have seen the process unfold. The best pieces are selected, the others left behind. Peter mentions both aspects. He mentions “rejection” and he mentions “selection”. I expect to be among those pieces of lumber rejected. I am not strong enough or straight enough. I am filled with imperfections and weaknesses. But, Peter reveals two aspects of the same marvelous truth. Frist, I am not rejected. Second, Jesus was. Because of God’s grace I am both “chosen” and “precious”. Seems impossible. Yet, it is possible because Jesus was rejected on my behalf in order to make a way for me to be chosen. He took on all my imperfections and bore my rejection for me. Now, together with him, I am being built into the kind of house that pleases God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

from grace to grace. from sanctification to sanctification. Thank the Lord for His grace, mercy, patience, and love to allow the construction to go on until He calls us home in His time! wonderful blog! Thank you!