About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 9, 2014

Joy during Tests

For long centuries those who belong to the world have waged war against the way of faith, and they have yet to win.
Eugene Peterson

I have been studying the first chapter of 1 Peter this past week. Some of the letter is reminiscent of his preaching contained in the book of Acts. Peter continues to proclaim the message of the resurrection of Jesus. Because of the New Testament record, I know about some of Peter’s experiences before and after Jesus raised up from the dead and ascended in heaven. But, I can only imagine what his life was like between the ascension and when he wrote this particular letter. Peter is aware of tough challenges. If church tradition is correct, Peter became a martyr after writing the letters we know as 1st and 2nd Peter. With that in mind, I consider his words carefully. Peter encourages believers, who are scattered around Asia Minor, to rejoice in the midst of trails.

In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. (1 Peter 1:6-9)

What feeds my rejoicing in the midst of trials? What is my source of joy when my faith is being stretched? Peter gives several answers to these questions. He elevates my field of vision from what is happening today to consider the impact on eternity. He refines my focus from “what’s happening to me” to “how does this glorify God?” Finally, Peter reminds me of what matters most: “Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love”.

When I read those words, I remember another time when Peter was tested. He failed. He failed miserably. In the midst of his fiery trial, Peter was asked if he was a follower of Jesus. In response, Peter violently refused to be associated with Jesus. When Jesus restored Peter and commissioned him to become a shepherd of believers, Jesus asked a straightforward question, “Do you love me?” Now, years later, Peter goes back to the heart of the matter. When I’m tested, I must remember to focus on my love for Jesus and that will always give me cause to rejoice.

No comments: