About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Change is Constant


Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8

Today will be filled with words about change. The search is on for resolve, motivation, urgency, hope and a vision for a new year. Transformation fascinates me. From the simple to the complex, the struggle with change is fairly obvious. It used to be that we laughed about writing the wrong year on a check. Now with the rise of electronic transactions we don’t have to worry about that. Once I preached an entire sermon where I repeatedly referred to the wrong year in my message. The good news/bad news - some noticed, others didn’t.

This morning I woke up with thoughts about the New Year. As I considered the change from 2013 to 2014 on the calendar, I quickly adjusted my thoughts. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. New Year’s Day in our culture is packed with great symbolic meaning. I am well aware that the dawning of a New Year serves as a beacon of hope for some and a dull reminder of inner frustration for others, Questions abound. Can I change? What should I change? Will I change? Why try? For me, these questions lead back to a deeper question. Is my heart established?

Superficial changes are just that. They are superficial. Deep change is another story. At first, it seems ironic that the power of positive change depends on a heart that is established. However, before we can fully engage in “what” we are becoming, we need a clear sense of “who” we are. More specifically, we must understand the source of our identity. The writer of Hebrews mentions a critical foundation for life. In the midst of change, both good and bad, we must have a heart that is “established in grace”. Grace helps us understand the big picture. Even the smallest of steps will either move us toward our destination or away from it. Grace helps clarify, redirect and guide us.

As I reflect on the relationship between grace and change, I must confess that I do crave change in my own life. I thirst for transformation that is anchored in my Savior who is forever the same. Every positive change in life requires a measure of freedom from the past. Our past can hinder us. It can haunt us. But, it doesn’t have to preclude positive change in the future. My freedom is possible because of grace provided in Christ. I anticipate that His presence will continue to affect my awareness of my true identity. Happy New Year! Embrace the change that Christ brings.

No comments: