About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Life Together


But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus
Ephesians 2:4-6

Many of my greatest family memories involve a meal. There is an extraordinary joy that comes when we sit around a table and eat, laugh and share life. In Ephesians, Paul describes God’s family table. The emphasis on “togetherness” with Christ in this passage is hard to miss. In Christ, we are alive together, raised up together and made to sit together with Christ. Because of God’s mercy and grace we enjoy communion with Christ. It’s unmistakable that we share this relationship because God loved us “even when we were dead in our sins”. His love draws us home.

Other than an occasional rendition of “Happy Birthday”, I don’t recall doing a lot of singing at family gatherings. But, I do think God enjoys music. In his classic work, “Life Together”, Dietrich Bonhoeffer reveals some insight on God’s playlist, “God has prepared for Himself one great song of praise throughout eternity, and those who enter the community of God join in this song.” After all, we are God’s workmanship, His masterpiece. As God gives us life, a song emerges. The prophet Isaiah identified the source of the song that resides in our hearts. “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.” (Isaiah 12:4)

Finish this year with a song in your heart. Begin the next year anchored in your trust in God.

No comments: