About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Unto you


For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
Luke 2:11

Every Christmas Eve, I remember our son’s birth. I reminisce over some particular details about his arrival. His name is Nicholas Landon Metler. He is 21 inches long. He weighs 7 pounds and 11 ounces. That’s some of the facts and figures you would expect in a birth announcement.  Whether the announcement is in print or you share it in person, these are usually the first details that are shared.

Luke, the Gospel writer shares a birth announcement for Jesus. It’s a special announcement made by an angel to shepherds. I love the fact that God chose a group of “ordinary” shepherds to receive such an extraordinary proclamation. When the angel shared that the Son of God had arrived on earth, there are a couple of words that speak volumes to me. Jesus was born for others. When the angel told the shepherds that the Savior was born, he revealed a deep truth. The Savior is born “to you”.

The fact that Jesus was born for others may seem obvious now. After the fact, we understand that the Savior came because of God’s great love. Perhaps you memorized John 3:16 as a child.  The fact that the birth of Jesus was an extravagant expression of a Father’s love toward the world has become just another part of the story of Christ. But, I enjoy re-visiting the moment. It reminds me that Jesus came for others then and now. He remains the Savior who seeks and saves the lost. Whether shepherd or king, His love finds us where we are. Jesus is the Savior, Christ the Lord.  

No comments: