About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Birth Certificate or Driver's License


For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.
Colossians 1:9-10

The New Testament contains a number of prayers. Sometimes it’s easy to read through prayers rather quickly. Colossians is a letter that contains some weighty material about the preeminence of Christ. But, before Paul delivered teaching about the identity of Christ, he offered a prayer. Paul asked that God would fill them with knowledge, wisdom and understanding so that they would be able to live in a manner worthy of the Lord. For me it’s a reminder of the difference Christ makes. Knowing Jesus is transformational. Paul had received the good news. He heard about the faith of those who were in Colosse. Paul looked back at their faith in Christ and rejoiced. He looked forward to the road ahead and he prayed. Paul asked that their wisdom, understanding and knowledge would increase. Their receipt of the Gospel was not the end. It was the beginning.

Conversion, like wisdom, takes a lifetime. For some, conversion is like a birth certificate while for others it is like a driver’s license. For the first, the ultimate question is “What do I need to get to heaven?” For the second, the question is “How do I love God?” For the first, the concern is for a moment, for the second, the concern is for a life.
Scot McKnight

I pray that your love for God increases more and more. I pray that God’s love spills over into every area of our lives every day.

No comments: