About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Who's in your heart?


I thank my God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy, for your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ; just as it is right for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart
Philippians 1:3-7

If you ask me to identify my favorite verse the Bible, it is very likely that I will produce a “top ten” list rather than a single favorite. It’s just too difficult to identify a single verse. However, one verse consistently ranks very high. It’s Philippians 1:6. For me, this is a verse of frequent mediation and reference. Whether I speak it aloud or rehearse it in my mind, I consider the powerful impact it is had on my life. In particular, I like to remind myself that God has begun “a good work” in me and is more than able to complete it.

The beauty of this verse increases as I consider the context. These words were included in a letter from Paul and Timothy addressed to believers in Philippi. What a great encouragement! But, it’s not fair for me to be selfish with the verse – as if it is a promise that I can simply claim for myself. It’s not enough that I believe that God will complete the work He has begun in my life. It’s paramount that I pass this reassurance along to others. Paul reminded his friends in Philippi that he was compelled to encourage them because of the place they occupied in his heart.

When I carry people in my heart, it increases my motivation to encourage and pray for them. I have just returned from visiting Cambodia. While I was there, one by one many beautiful servants of the Lord climbed into my heart. I will not soon forget getting to see our precious Marife. We have sponsored her for over a year now. When Nick in I embraced her, she climbed into our hearts. No wonder the Apostle wrote, “I thank God upon every remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine making request for you all with joy.” When I pray for Marife, I trust that the same God, who has begun a good work in me has begun a good work in her life, is going to complete it.

Read Philippians 1:3-8. Who comes to mind? Who is in your heart? Who will receive encouragement from you this week?

No comments: