About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Wedding Vows


Thus says the Lord: “I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown.  (Jeremiah 2:2)

On Saturday, I stood before my niece and her husband-to-be and led them in prayer and the exchange of their vows as they entered into a marriage covenant. It was a beautiful night and I must confess that I conducted the entire ceremony with a bit of a lump in my throat. There’s nothing like a wedding. It’s no wonder that God illustrates His love for His people throughout the Bible as a marriage covenant.

As I reflected on the wedding, I thought of the words of Jeremiah. The prophet refers to the love of God’s people with marriage terminology.  Our love for God is described in terms of devotion, faithfulness and pursuit. One of the phrases included in the marriage ceremony I conducted Saturday night remains pressed in my memory. I asked both the bride and groom to affirm their willingness to “forsake all others and remain true to him/her as long as you both shall live”. These words provide a pattern for our relationship with God. The Scriptures make it clear that any time we elevate anything or anyone else to the place only God deserves, it is idolatry. This week, turn your eyes toward our faithful God and renew your vow to remain true to Him as long as you live.

No comments: