About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Digging Deep


He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.
Luke 6:48

Life is like a man building a house. So begins the teaching of Jesus. What’s the difference between those who hear the words of Jesus and “do them” and those who hear and “did nothing”? One is like a man who builds a house with a rock solid foundation and the other skips a step and builds a house without a foundation. It’s not difficult to predict what will happen when a storm gathers. Jesus confirms what you might expect. One house stands, the other falls.

The message of Jesus is hard to miss. If I want to build a life that is strong enough to withstand the storms of life, then I must listen and obey. However, I believe there are a number of subtle messages that are easily missed. Jesus began by saying that the man “dug deep” and laid the foundation. It’s a reminder that much of the work required to build strong character takes place beneath the surface. After a house is built, the foundation doesn’t show, much less the effort and investment required to prepare for the foundation. Few of us would argue against the fact that we live in a world that where veneer competes with substance. Far too often, charisma trumps character. The words of Jesus remind us that Christ-like character grows beneath the surface and then yields a fruitful life. “A good man out of the good treasures of his heart brings forth good fruit” (Luke 6:45). 

 So how do I respond to the pressure to build my house without digging deep? The Bible is filled with practical instruction about building strong character. Psalm 1:2 is one of my favorites. “But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.” It’s a great place to start. Meditation takes place beneath the surface of my life. No audience. It is the process of “digging deep” and treasuring long-term investment while living in an instant gratification world. “Delight” in God’s word is a cultivated delight. And, yes, some days the digging is more difficult than others. But, my love for God’s word has grown as I have spent more time meditating on God’s word.

No comments: