About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Merry Christmas

Last week, we were finishing up a project on the playground here at church. It required several 80 lb. bags of Quikcrete. I was blessed with the opportunity to carry a few of them. I made the comment that it felt like the first bag weighed 80 lbs. and the last bag weighed 180 lbs. The longer you carry a weight, the heavier it feels! Consider how that relates to the prophetic words found in Isaiah. They are some of the most beautiful in the Bible. During the Christmas season, I love to read about the prophetic anticipation of the birth of the Savior.

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)

I pay particular attention to the comment about that government that rests upon His shoulders. I have always found it easier to carry a heavy load (like a bag of Quikrete) by resting it on my shoulders. Isaiah reminds us that God’s shoulders are broad enough and strong enough to bear the weight that we cannot. Earlier in Isaiah 9, we read a graphic description of God’s plan to save His children that makes that point.

For as in the day of Midian’s defeat, you have shattered the yoke that burdens them, the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor. (Isaiah 9:4)

I am unable to bear the weight of my sin. The baby that was born in Bethlehem grew up into the man that carried my sin to the cross. Jesus shattered the yoke of my sin. I no longer carry it. He bore the weight of the consequences. I no longer bear it. He destroyed the rod of my oppressor. I no longer feel the pain. Join with me this week and give thanks to our Savior.

No comments: