About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Step into the Light

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
1 Peter 2:9

One day last week, I stepped out of a dimly lit room into the sunlight. Immediately, I became aware of the need for my eyes to adjust to the light. Our eyes are one of God’s greatest gifts to the human body. When we move from darkness to light (or from light to darkness) our pupils automatically adjust to control the amount of light that passes through the lens to the photoreceptors in the retina. As I know from past experience, we cannot see color or details when light cannot reach the retina. In our spiritual lives, God calls us out of darkness and into His marvelous light. Only when we move into the light are we able to see clearly. God’s marvelous light changes everything. Peter gives us a picture of what the light reveals. First, we see ourselves differently. God’s light clarifies our identity. We are “chosen”. We are “royal priests”. We are “holy”. We are cherished by the Creator of the universe. Second, our mission is illuminated. As “royal priests”, we exist to declare His praises and make Him known to the world around us. Thank God for the light. If we try to see ourselves or our world without the light that God provides today, then our vision will be distorted. I don’t want to miss the brilliant color and detail of God’s plan for our lives.

No comments: