About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Discipline of Remembrance

Remembering is hard work, especially in a world like ours. The information era teaches us to forget yesterday’s news, so that we can cram in today’s…we drown ourselves in mindless media diversions that enthrall us for the moment but are as memorable as potato chips are nutritious. Remembering takes time and space, and remembering takes practice. We have to search hard for those free zones in which we can remember again that we are really children of God. No remembering won’t come easily or automatically. On the contrary, we will fill our days with other thoughts and lose ourselves in other tasks unless remembering becomes a discipline, a way of life, for us.
John Burgess

Sunday, as I was preparing several people to be baptized in water, I charged them with the importance of remembering the day. Water Baptism calls for reflection and remembrance. No doubt, Jesus understood that we have the tendency to crowd out the sacred moments in our memories with the cares of this world. That’s one reason He called us to “remember” Him when we come to the Lord’s table and share communion. Be disciplined today. Every day of our lives should include moments of remembrance. Remember what God has done. Remember we are really His children. Choose a moment today to hit the “pause” button in life and remember.

No comments: