About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Craving

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

Psalm 42:1-2

Hundreds of years after this Psalm was born, Peter encouraged the early Christians to "crave" spiritual nourishment like a baby craves milk. (1 Peter 2:2). Although it's been a while since Nick was a baby, my memories are still pretty fresh. In fact, for the first 14 years of his life, he has always been very good at letting us know when he is hungry. As a baby, he would cry to let us know he was craving nourishment. The image that Peter provides is a great reminder that each of us has a cry inside of us. Our hearts yearn for nourishment. There is a craving inside of us that demands satisfaction. Often the problem is not the craving, it is the various places we turn to remedy the craving. The Greek text of 1 Peter 2:2 provides a descriptor for our nourishment. It is "pure". The Word of God, the nourishment that God provides for us is "pure". There is nothing like it. We crave peace. We crave acceptance. We crave healing. We crave hope. We crave belonging. Where can we find these things? There is no substitute for the pure nourishment that comes from God. Indeed, our souls pant for God like a deer thirsts for water. But how will we answer the craving today? The question of the Psalmist need not go unanswered. Where can I go to meet with God today? Why not meet with God by turning to His Word. Spend some time with God today drinking in the truth of His Word. Feed your heart with His Word.

No comments: