About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Worship


We were made to worship. Sound like a good sermon title? It is the title of the message for Sunday. But, what are your thoughts about being created to worship? Do you think first about your favorite music? Do you think of a time on Sunday when you gather with others? Do you think in terms of worship as an obedient response to God's requirement? In an unusual conversation between a Jewish man (Jesus) and a Samaritan woman at a well, Jesus told her that God's idea of worship is a worship characterized as "worship in spirit and truth" (John 4:24). No doubt, His words carry a depth of meaning that cannot be covered in this blog. But, I can distill some of my thoughts into a couple of words. God wants our worship to be "authentic" and He wants our worship to be about Him. Real worship is inspired by God. We don't worship God without His help. We can't worship God without being touched by His love. It's not the extravagant expressions that we must offer. It is the simplicity of a heart that longs for God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing so many times after church to overhear one person say "the music was too loud" and another say "they need to kick it up a notch around here. Tired of the same old music". Paul, you are exactly right. It is in the simplicity of heart. We have an infinite God that creates infinite personalities and gives us the freedom to live out our personalities. One person can worship in Spirit and in truth in complete silence, and another can worship running the aisles when it is from the heart with gratitude to the Lord. The Lord gives us more freedom than we give each other. That should not be. And I believe He gives us worship not because He needs it. I believe he gives us worship for us....to get our minds off of ourselves and on Him where He can then do greater things in our lives.

Brandi said...

Well, this was a good post, and I can't wait to hear the teaching! And guess what, I'm pretty sure I'll be back in the pews this weekend!!!!

I found your podcast recording though, and I've been listening to that as well. I find it a blessing to have a lesson from a teacher I trust, even when I can't always come to class. Thank you, Paul.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.