About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, March 7, 2008

Following is hard work

There are some common misconceptions about following in our "leadership" obsessed generation. Don't get me wrong, I am not demeaning the importance of leadership. I have devoted a great portion of my life studying leadership. However, we have come to believe that when leaders are great, following becomes easy. Even with great leadership, following is not easy. Just asked the disciples who were tortured and martyred in various ways. Sometimes we view following as a "passive" exercise. Once the vision is cast and a powerful and charismatic leader is in place, the following begins. Following is not passive. It requires focus and passion and commitment each step of the way. Following requires "self-leadership" principles of discipline and self-control.

No comments: