About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Storytellers


Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story
Psalm 107:2

Who is the best storyteller you have ever met? What makes a good storyteller? Well, I have to admit that I have met some extraordinary communicators. Several years ago, Lynn and I travelled with Nick to the National Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough, Tennessee. It was a “field trip” with his school. I didn’t exactly know what to expect. I was amazed. The festival featured several award-winning tellers of all ages. As I listened, I quickly picked up on some of the qualities that set these tellers apart. I understand why storytelling is described as an “art form”. Time after time I experienced the same phenomenon. A story became a masterpiece. My mind, my imagination became a canvas and the words painted a brilliant picture that was alive and powerful. I did not merely listen to words. I entered the story.

Now you understand why I love Psalm 107. Psalm 107 is much more than a corporate celebration among post-exilic Hebrews. It is a story of God’s love. It is a redemptive story. It’s good to hear the words. It’s better to enter the story. I have experienced darkness. I have known spiritual hunger and thirst. I have been at my wits end. I have tasted fear and faced peril. In my desperation, I have cried out the Lord. And I have experienced redemption. Not only does that qualify me to enter the story, it compels me to share it. Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story.

No comments: