About Me

My photo
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Hello. Thanks for stopping by. If you care to read about what's crossing my mind or sticking in my heart I welcome you to my latest post. So, I hope you enjoy my ramblings. More importantly, I hope I can encourage you to join me in my quest to be a faithful follower of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Finding Wisdom in a Complex World


How can a culture like ours define anything of value until we discover our purpose in life?
Ravi Zacharias

Last Wednesday night, I was blessed with an opportunity to hear Ravi Zacharias speak at our General Assembly. His message was drawn from 2 Kings 21-22. He painted a stark contrast between King Manasseh and King Josiah. According to the Scripture, Manasseh followed “the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites”. Josiah, on the other hand, “did what was right in the eyes of the Lord”. In the restoration of worship, King Josiah illustrates that it is our worship that brings us together before God. Worship unites us. Worship is a privilege. Worship helps us discover the true purpose of existence. When we worship, we foster a contagious recognition of our Lord. Our worship renews our passion to invite others to know God and serve Him. Our identity is authenticated by God’s presence in us – the Holy Spirit. In fact, worship clarifies our identity and God’s identity. In his message, Zacharias called the “deification of the individual” the greatest sin of our age. The temptation to elevate our status and reduce God to something less is manifested in so many ways today. I am thankful for the sobering message as I turn my attention toward Proverbs in my study of the Old Testament. Where do we find wisdom for life? Where to we find understanding in the midst of our complex world? How do we resist temptation?  “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10).

No comments: